Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Book Recommendation


Hey all! Been hot and busy this week. Despite all the heat and stuff to do, I've been spending quite a bit of time watching the news and surfing the internet about the situation in Iran. I'm not going to go on a whole rant here I promise! Buuuuut, I would like to recommend a book to anyone who would like a little learn a little more about Iran, especially the women.
"Reading Lolita in Tehran" is a memoir about a college professor's, Azar Nafisi, bold move to invite some of her female university students to her home in Tehran to read forbidden litrature. I actually met the lovely and interesting author when she came to TU at the end of last year. Ms. Nafisi came to my alma matar, originally, for a lecture. One of my professors, however, asked her to also give a talk about her book to a select group of female students studying various social sciences at the college. She gladly agreed and I've was really lucky to be invited. During this hour long meeting she discussed her book reflecting upon its content and also sharing her thoughts on Iran today. I was enlightened by this talk and thus my interest in the region increased. Please if you get a chance read her book. It is beautifully written and offers a peek of who Iranian women and the struggles they face as women in Iran. You will also learn something about the Persian culture, the women, the politics, and hopefully gain some insight into the current affairs of Iran.
Hope you all are staying cool!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the heads-up! I've been wanting to read this book, and now it's a priority. You were lucky to have met the author.
Let's pray that the situation in Iran gets resolved so that the people are free and happy.

Habebi said...

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did Dedene. It's so insightful. I loved meeting the author and everytime she said something I sat there contemplating her words. I'm afraid I didn't say much and probably sounded silly when I did. I really do hope that the situation in Iran ends with the result being the people, the majority, are heard and can live in a freer and more transparent society.