Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Student Loan Consolidation Part 103945701560742

There's some good news and bad news on the seemingly never-ending battle to get my loan consolidation application through. Bad news, I'm STILL lacking all the correct information. I actually got a rather kind letter from the government about it and asking me to reapply again. I don't know how, or why, I just don't have all of the info despite trying to keep every piece of mail in regards to my loans. So I galavanted off to my lender's website, the one they said on a statement should help me. Annnnnnd after going back and forth on my lender's website getting nowhere (I'll spare you the gory details) I finally submitted a request for information. We'll see how long that takes, but, at least the ball is rolling- I think... and hope.... and pray.... and drink more wine.

The good news is that tomorrow, July 1st, new laws in regards to paying back student loans go into effect and I should benefit from them. The most important statute is that my monthly payment will be based on.... wait for it.... what I'm making per annum! Gasp!!! That actually makes sense. Holy moly. I know we all like to complain about what the government isn't doing, or what it is doing incorrectly, but, I would like to tip my hat to the US government for finally getting some common sense in this arena. There still is a long way to go, but, from the bottom of my heart I thank you for this. Two months ago I was ready to cry hearing stories of those who have struggled to pay back their loans. Now I'm actually feeling, dare I say it.... hopeful.

No comments: