Monday, September 13, 2010

Manic Monday

Leo feeling the adverse sideffects from today. Shh!! Snuck this picture while the kids were listening to their teacher.
-
Where do I begin? It wasn't a bad day, it was just- manic! I was given a schedule of teachers to visit and help out for an hour or so. Five teachers in all. Yes, I said five. Mind you this maybe temporary and I've already been told of a change by the principal. Okay.. I'm flexible I can do this I told myself.
-
Then I get to the classrooms. Kids are thrilled Leo's there, helped a sweet girl in my first class, then I get to the next teacher. She looks at me like I'm invading her room and I felt pretty awkward as the kids were in the middle of testing. Get to the next class and the teacher was cool enough to let me talk about Leo. THEN, while the kids are occupied with worksheets she asks me why I came to her class. It dawned on me in that moment, these teachers were not told I was going to be there and thus, couldn't plan accordingly. The first class going so well was a fluke, an utter fluke as I got a minute to talk with the teacher while her kids were on bathroom break. The rest were clueless as to why I showed up at their door.
-
Ohhhh boy.
-
So I go about the rest of my day apologizing to every teacher I had to go to, telling them I would probably be there, but, I wasn't for sure as things were already in flux. I still got to help some kiddos out and that was awesome. Leo did great despite the fact he skipped breakfast and wasn't in the greatest of moods (needy- very needy). Then while I was finishing my day in the office two 'suits' come into the school. I say hi,they introduce themselves, ask for the principal, I tell Principal some folks from such and such are here.
-
Heh.
-
Those people were from the school board. One was in fact the superintendent who just decided to show up without warning at the end of the school day. FUN! I clock out and get Leo and I outta there fast as I just didn't want to add any undue stress on the principal. So I haul butt to work where that was a whole 'nother series of crazy there. Ran an errand after work, traffic's bad of course, takes forever to get home. I get home and what do I do? Sync my phone and iTunes account incorrectly and erase the language podcasts and learning tools off of my phone.
-
Go me.
-
Suffice it to say my gin and tonic is pretty strong tonight. My liver may hate me by the end of this week if things stay this way!
-
Hope your Monday was less insane than mine!

6 comments:

S. said...

Holy crap. What a day! I hope things get sorted out/better for you!

The Pliers said...

The first two weeks of each new QUARTER for TWELVE long years in a university-level Spanish & Portuguese Department were filled with the same type of stress that you describe so well here. I always had a headache for the first couple of days and felt like I'd been run through a wringer washer.

If it's any consolation, the teachers probably feel worse than you do... Have a great first week and just keep your eyes and ears open. You have an enormous amount to offer in the form of ability, goodwill, enthusiasm, and special talents that will make themselves known little by little as the academic year goes by! Have fun with your little charges and their teachers and Leo!

Bon courage!

Sara Louise said...

Nothing wrong with a little G&T every now and then :-)

Habebi said...

Sarah- They will, ish. Things are always a little hectic around schools. Add where I'm teaching and the fact we're understaffed and it puts an extra element of 'fun' in the mix!

Habebi said...

Pliers- Oh..mah..GAWD! How you managed to keep sane through all of that (every QUARTER??? SERIOUSLY??) speaks for how strong you are! I have no doubt the teachers feel that way. One of them is my friend and she has already had to modify plans several times, take a couple of days off to rest and recooperate.

Thank you for your kind words of encouragment! Hope I can do a little bit of good despite the intermittant mania. Bon courage indeed!

Habebi said...

Sara Louise- Amen sista. And as I have not purchase a single bottle of wine recently G&Ts may just have to carry me through until I'm properly restocked. ;-)