Tuesday, September 7, 2010

A New View of School

Today marks one week I've been gainfully employed in the local school system. Though I've only been a paperwork minion (for now) this new job and subsequent routine has been a positive one. For example, I used to loathe getting up early for school. I like my eight hours of sleep, I really do. When I knew I would have to get up at 6:30am, to ensure I would be at my school ten minutes before I needed to clock in, I was certain I wouldn't transition easily. Much to my surprise, I had one day when I was achingly tired and after that I've been fine. Naturally I get tired earlier, but, I find that I am far more productive now that I have more structure to my day.
-
Working for a school, as opposed to going to one, has been full of fun and some sad surprises. I see parents in the office on a regular basis come in and pick up their children for various appointments or because they're sick. I have been shocked at the number of parents who don't remember their child's teacher's name. We're starting week three of the school year and they don't know who is teaching their kid??? Education is so, so valuable, so crucial to development and future success and yet I see that it is not appreciated by those who play a critical role in their child's education- the parents. Mind you this is not everyone, but, it would've never occurred to me as a student that my parents would have no clue who my instructor was!
-
I knew going into this job that this school was full of low income, high risk children. So hearing that there was a child who had fleas and lice didn't come as a shock, but, it is still unbelievably disturbing and sad. Seeing paperwork that states clearly that a student's own father can, under no circumstances, pick up his own daughter or son is mind blowing to say the least. You know these cases exist, but, it is understandably different when you're in the front row seeing these cases play out.
-
I have no idea what's in store for me when I'm finally assigned to a class. There will no doubt be situations that will break my heart, that I cannot simply leave at work. However, I am not ready to run for the hills because of that. Perhaps knowing what I'm getting myself into helps. I do have a sense that there will be brilliant moments that will shine through those sad stories and that even if I cannot change what a child has to go through, I can at least provide a bright spot, however brief, in their life.
-
And that's what keeps me there and hopeful that I can face down and even succeed in this new setting I've become part of.

12 comments:

Jessica said...

Congrats on starting the new job! I can't wait to hear all about it. Sounds like the kids really need someone as dedicated and passionate as you... lucky them! ;) Good luck! You'll be great.

S. said...

Yeah, it's a tough world, and I usually only hear the good parts. I know a girl who has a daycare had a mom show up with court papers the other day saying she was to pick up her son (which she NEVER has done... the daycare owner didn't even know who she was and which kid was hers) and the dad is no longer allowed to see him.

Anyway... I'm always around whenever you need me! Congrats again!

Habebi said...

Jessica- Thanks girl! I will be spilling as much as I can; granted names cannot be named as I'd like to keep my job! lol

I hope I can do some good. At the very least, they LOVE Leo and he brings a smile to their faces which makes me happy. Hope I can do a little bit of good there!

Habebi said...

Sarah- It's definitely tough! I heard that last year one child's parent trying to pick them up, but, turns out he or she couldn't and it was a big to do! Talk about nuts!! I know this isn't every kid and many come from good or at least decent homes. There are just those ones that make me go.. whoa.

Thanks for your support hun! I will probably need so crash time coming up. There will definitely be those weeks lol.

Sara Louise said...

You're going to settle in just fine. You're an adaptable kind of gal :-)

Caitie said...

I used to want to be a teacher, so I logged a lot of hours in the public schools volunteering in classes. I understand the shock of seeing certain family situations, and how neglected some kis are--believe me! You are going to be great :-)

Clouds said...

it sounds like such a meaningful job. congrats on your new career and wishing you all the best!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to hear all about you in front of a class. It's a real challenge to do good in today's school environment. I'm sure you'll do well.

Habebi said...

Caitie- It's so nice to have know someone else who saw some of this stuff front row. I know it takes all sorts in the world, but, wow. To have a parent complain about a child's homework because it requires him or her to read and they can't read that well?? Are you kidding me?! Some people just don't take responsibility at all, even when they have children.

Habebi said...

Clouds- Thank you! I think this job will help me out a lot in figuring life out and learning more about myself and what I want. I really hope to do some good in return!

Habebi said...

Dedene- I can't wait to be in a classroom. I will definitely share all when I get there. Though I'm not going to lie, a little nervous thinking about getting in there with the kids. You're right, the school environment is very challenging right now here. The schools are required to have so much responsibility in regards to order, safety, procedures, paperwork and yet schools have very little power to implement policies that would benefit a child's educational experience. However, when the school flexes what little muscle they have (warnings for excessive abscences for example)there are parents ranting and raving in the front office about how unfair we're being. It's mind blowing.

Habebi said...

Sara Louise- Merci ma belle amie! I think I'll be fine, though I know there will be 'those days' lol. But hey, c'est la vie n'est pas?